Ayr Wargames Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ayr Wargames Club

A place for our members to meet and plan games, debate issues and organize trips.

HomeRegisterLog in

Club Games Planning Area

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
ScotR

Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19 2020, 12:10

Yup, Steam has an inbuilt broadcast system to stream games. I watched my brother playing Mechwarrior Online using it a few days ago. Will play about with it today to work out how you set it up, or get StuartR to explain it to me.

Have ordered a splitter to sort out my headset problems, hopefully will fix it, ordered from Amazon Prime so should get it tomorrow. If not, I may set up my desktop to run Tabletop Simulator and stream it to my laptop, which I know the headset works fine on, as it has a proper TRRS jack.

Demo worked well apart from comms issues on the part of myself and Scoop last night, although those are fixable once we work out the problem. The set up worked well, good work o the part of Doc to collect and create all the assets needed. That was one of the stumbling blocks we faced previously, as I couldn't get assets to save properly to set up a game, only to discover it was hidden by a collapsed menu. Typical.
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19 2020, 02:42

Yes John, there is a space for you. Ian will be playing & Stuart H as well. I'll umpire & help you with the moving & measuring. If no one else will be on then I might have to play to even the numbers.

Eddie, I spoke to Scot Reid when testing the gameboard tonight and he told me you might be able to watch through Steam. It seems there is a "Watch Game" option in the friends menu when someone is on playing a game. No idea how it impacts on the game so if you have Steam installed I'll PM you about user name & get you on my list. Then after about 1.15pm on Sunday you should be able to watch. I shold have gotten everyone invited into the game by then. I've no idea if you will hear our conversation while we play, but you should get to see what it can look like in a game.
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18 2020, 20:20

Hi Doc
I should manage to play if there is space for me.

Eddie you do have to buy Tabletop Simulator first.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18 2020, 19:56

So you have to buy the simulator package first from steam ?

Ed
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18 2020, 19:29

I'm pretty sure you can only play or watch through Tabletop Simulator.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18 2020, 17:59

I would probably like to watch the game on steam. How do I do it ?

Ed
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 18 2020, 17:33

Going to check the table setup works with other players tonight. How many folk intend to participate or watch on Sunday? Let's me know how many to set the table up for.
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14 2020, 17:21

I think Tanker would be best as you said it is the easier game to play first time out on TTS. I have no problem with my steam name being mentioned on here, it's a great name Smile
Back to top Go down
StuartR

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14 2020, 16:50

Steam names is drama over nothing, if anyone is worried about your steam name being revealed on a wargames forum needs to take a chill pill. No one is hacking your bank account with that publicly available information. I think the forum user names give more information than a steam username ever will unless the information I am trying to protect is how much of my life have I wasted on Rust (70 days ish).
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14 2020, 15:59

Forgot it was Father's Day Stuart. We were just thinking today would have been too short notice and go for next Sunday. If people say if that would be a problem then we could make it later or some other time. Think we will maybe stick on Chain of Command or maybe What A Tanker! as a sample game. What A Tanker might be simplest as it would only be one tank each. I'm hunting down some assets for Saga AOM just now.
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14 2020, 12:09

I would like to be included in the demo game Doc and will be available. 21st is Father's Day just in case others have plans for that afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Steve (Admin)
Admin
Steve (Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14 2020, 01:11

Guys. Regarding sensitive data and Forum security, Doc is correct. Sharing of usernames etc. should be done via the PM function.
Messages can be edited and the data removed by either Admin or, I believe, by the person posting the message.

@ScotR, if you wish to edit or remove the post yourself or leave it as is, that's ok but please confirm with the others about having their data being shown.

If you have any problems editing or removing the post, contact me and I can make any changes for you.

Steve (Admin)
Back to top Go down
http://ayrwargamesclub.co.uk
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14 2020, 00:55

OK Scot.  I've sent invites.  Would have been more sensible to do it by PM as this is a completely public forum and anyone can read it.
We had issues with getting online with it.  When we tried using the person with a wired internet connection as the host for the game then it would load much faster.  Also only invite one person to the game at a time means TTS is not trying to send the assets for the game to each player on a signal split to 2 or 3 people at the same time.

Not got Mount and blade, got lots of various Total Wars though including Warhammers.

I would have connection issues with my router. Basically it was on its last legs. I akso wasn't getting the right internet speed. After having hassles with my provider going round in circles with tests and them wanting to send and engineer. Which I would have to pay for if the fault was inside the house. I told them the fault was the router losing connection at random and not showing it. Eventually had to go to Customer complaints. He asked how I could tell it was the router at fault adn I said I can take the internet cable out the wall socket and my LAN cable to the PC out the back and it still blinks away with its green lights all on acting like its connected. Customer complaint immediately said they would send a new router and an engineer to install it and doa test as I said speed was down as well. What I found was if you ran the router from the master test socket it got a better speed than from the proper socket. The engineer fitted a new faceplat to see if that madde a difference and everythign ran normally after that. Do if you or your brother might know someone who can fit & wire up a new wall playe it might be a solution. Or it could be you have the longest copper wire connection known to man.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13 2020, 14:16

StuartR, David and myself have dipped in and out of TTS for the last few years, and StuartH picked it up at the start of lockdown, but we experienced quite a few problems making it work effectively and kinda gave up on it. Issues stemmed mainly from performance issues, most likely down to net speeds.

I've since built a new desktop PC, which is faaaaaaar better than my laptop was, but my internet is still way slower than I pay for - which technically gets me out my contract - and have been experiencing connection issues with devices connected to my router.

StuartR's steam name is AyeCode, David McQ's is Skywarp101, StuartH's is the_kwisatz_anorak, and mine is Brenneke (there's a few of them, mine is the one with the Blood Angel Terminator profile pic). Feel free to add us.

If you have Mount and Blade Warband, we could play the Napoleonic mod and make our own band of Chosen Men!
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2020, 20:43

Stuart may have Tabletop Simulator but he needs to get everyone that will be on as friends on his list.  We can get it sorted out though once we know who's going to be there & send friend numbers privately.  Then there is the inevitable someone who can't hear everyone else.  affraid   I'll try to get on individually for a short while before hand so they know roughly how to get into the chat and get levels of sound sorted etc and how to join a TTS game when invited.  We've found it best not to have TTS already started until you get the invite from the game host and then invite people one by one so the assets load quicker.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2020, 17:30

Sounds a great idea. Stuart I know is set up already to join in.
Hope every one is well.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12 2020, 17:08

John, Ian & myself were talking last night while playing Chain of Command on Tabletop Simulator and Ian sugested letting the club members know about it.  We were thinking that putting on a demo/participation multiplayer game next Sunday, 21st June.  It would mean that after that we could have games on TTS on a Sunday afternoon to keep up the habit of Sunday gaming and social interaction.  Who knows when we will get back to any kind of normal gaming.  For anyone shielding we don't think it will be soon.  I know some folk might not have powerful enough PCs or fast enough internet connection.  We can try it and see how it works out.

You need STEAM, Tabletop Simulator and ideally a headset mic for chat.  Steam is free to download and install.  It's basically a games management platform and store to buy digital versions of games.  It also allows voicechat when signed in and can do group chats.  Tabletop Simulator is currently £14.99 to buy.  You can buy various officially created versions of boardgames to play on TTS as well, but you don't have to.  There is also a Four Pack available for £44.99, that gives one person 4 copies.  One for themselves and 3 to gift to friends so splitting that cost amongst 4 folk gets each one cheaper.  Only the person hosting has to own the game being played, but everyone needs TTS.  There is plenty of player created content in the workshop which is free.  Some don't work correctly as bits can have gone missing in the time since publishing to Steam, things like textures.  You just unsubscribe from it if you find that problem and see if there is another version available.

At the moment we have been playing some games of 26mm Chain of Command, but I have found other types of figures that might allow some Napoleonics (with a bit of work).  John is thinking he might try Battlegroup on it.  I have found SAGA & What A Tanker! on it too. Haven't looked to see how they work yet. Ian's been the driving force to the gaming so far :-)

So first step would be finding out who would be interested.  Then we need to get folk onto each others Friends list.  Then schedule something for next Sunday.  A game can take 10 players, no idea how it handles when you do.  One person sets up the game then invites people into it.  We've found it best to do that one at a time as it downloads the game to that person as they join.  The first Sunday game is more a demo to show people how it works and what it looks like.

So what do we think? Question Question Question
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 29 2020, 11:52

Good to hear you are doing ok Scot, we are all getting plenty of painting done too by the sound of it.
It may be worth approaching the church to see if using the big hall would be feasible, would certainly make things easier, I suppose it would all depend as well on how many members would be likely to go into club. We can look into that in a few weeks and see what restrictions are lifted by then.
Your message came through just as I was posting mine Stuart 😀.
We can certainly think about your proposals , there are probably others will come up. Having a good few Elderly and Infirm ( err I mean distinguished silver haired upstanding citizens) as members is going to be a bit of a problem and it could be a while before quite a few of us will be able to come into club.
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 29 2020, 11:38

I would like to think the church would let us use the big hall for the same price so:
1) they still get some money coming in and
2) it's the christian thing to do lol

As we won't be able to meet until phase three starts we have plenty of time to com e up with a plan but I imagine:
1) Using the big hall to allow social distancing as much as possible
2) No communal drinks ie bring your own flask, ask Mick where he gets his Razz
3) Only one person allowed in the toilet at a time (generally a good rule anyway)
4) Only one person under the stage at a time
5) Wearing masks I think will be up to the individual
6) No more than four people to a game

I think even if we get the club open again after the summer we will have a smaller than normal regular attendance. Members like John and Bill etc (sorry to single you out guys haha) may not be able to attend until after a vaccine has been released or drugs that can alleviate the symptoms. So it could be the club only meets once or twice a month from reopening until Christmas to reduce the burden on the club funds covering quiet weeks. The other option is we pay £6 or an equal share of the hall hire ie only five members turn up so need to pay £8 each. I see that option only being used if we meet weekly again after the summer.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 29 2020, 11:22

Hi all, reporting in.

Been off work since end of March shielding due to my asthma, due back middle of June, but can't see it having changed anything really. Every day has been a carbon copy of the previous one for the last 10 weeks, so ready to go back to work to be honest. Missing the club like the rest of you.

Been painting loads when I can, from giant rats, lizards, wolves, bears and panthers, through Enforcer Pathfinders for Deadzone, some Dwarf and Lizardmen characters, the old Battlemasters Ogre, Tomb Banshees and Chainrasps from Age of Sigmar, some Celts in preparation for Infamy, Infamy, amongst loads of other things. My painting ADHD has me jumping all over the place from project to project, but I'm getting through it all.

Got some of the new Wargames Atlantic Persians with Eddie, nice minis, building up some of them for a Mortal Gods force, as well as working through a sprue backlog from the Mortal Realms magazine subscription.

The new website looks better, a bit fresher. Spent a bit of time getting my laptop working properly (or at least, better than before), so I can now get access to the admin tools on Facebook and do a bit of work around the club's social media presence, as agreed at our meeting a few months ago. The Facebook app is a bit rubbish for that kinda thing, unfortunately.

Anyway, do you think once the goveernment ease restrictions, the church will allow us to use the big hall during this? Would mean they would still get money from us, and we could set up tables to better socially distance ourselves. Can't imagine they'll have much else on at the moment! Guess we can also make masks mandatory - may not be comfortable for 5 or 6 hours, but better than nothing and not getting to run a game until end of this - or even next - year.

Anyway, stay safe all.
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 28 2020, 14:36

I probably won’t be able to come into club anytime soon unless there wit be a vaccine or even drugs to lessen the effect of Covid-19 .

I have finished painting all my 20mm British airborne army except for a polsten AA gun which is in order. Am now onto 28mm Gauls and a small LRDG/ SaS army for Battlegroup rules . Their Pacific rules should be out this year and for once I already have a Japanese army sitting waiting do die gloriously for their Emperor!!!.
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 28 2020, 13:08

So what's everyone been up to?
As we go into phase one of lockdown easing I'd believe it will be phase three before the club can meet again. This will be a minimum of six weeks away but only if the R number continues to decrease so I'm still think September before we get there.
I'm still on furlough until we enter phase two but that gives me a chance to do some more painting and enjoy the sunshine for another three weeks anyway. Currently painting Sikh infantry Smile
Back to top Go down
David Sargent

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 20 2020, 13:22

Hi guys

Hope everyone is well.

Nice to read about the stuff that you are all painting during lockdown.
Like everybody else I have been working through my backlog of boxes and figures, mostly bought when going cheap and stuck in a cupboard somewhere.

I'll try to post some pics on the website soon. I've completed a 15mm British para infantry company with some supports and a 15mm US infantry company with supports. These I have added to the mass of German,Russian and Allied 15mm stuff that I have been piling up over the years and never had on the table!

Also bought a box of Wargames Atlantic 28mm Afghans. Nice figures that paint up well but are slightly smaller than most current NWF figures. At £25 for a box of 40 they will do for rank and file (i.e. Cannon fodder). Will post pics on the website when I've finished them.

Also working through 28mm Celts as an opposing force for my Imperial Romans for the long awaited 'Infamy'. Waiting for a box of Celtic cavalry to arrive then probably need some slingers and possibly another chariot as you only get three in Victrix box and it looks like you need at least four.

Stay safe guys. Keep painting.

DS

Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 18 2020, 22:19

Agree Ed looks good, once the club is back in action we'll need to make sure to take regular pics to be added to it Smile
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon May 18 2020, 21:56

Website looks very good, very impressive.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Club Games Planning Area - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Club Games Planning Area
Page 4 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next