Ayr Wargames Club

A place for our members to meet and plan games, debate issues and organize trips.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Saga campaign

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 27 2018, 20:27

Thanks Ed I won't be in next Sunday (Mothers Day) but I'll catch up with Bill this Sunday to arrange our game.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 27 2018, 15:02

Stuart
Bill is running a six player game of Battletech this Sunday, he might be available the following week?
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 27 2018, 12:41

I'll be in Sunday if your available Bill to have our game
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Feb 26 2018, 15:36

Actions for the first campaign season are;

Bill, Ed, George, Mick, Brian and David are all defending.

Scott is raiding Mick.
Stuart is raiding Bill.
Scot is campaigning against Brian.

David failed to have his orders in on time so is defending this season.
I have stipulated that all orders require to be in by the last Sunday of each month. If you don't hand in your orders I will assume you wish to defend for that season, no ifs or buts.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Sat Feb 24 2018, 21:34

Received Scot's orders today. He is oathsworn to David.
Remember you all need to come up with a name for your character.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Fri Feb 23 2018, 22:45

Stuart and Scott have gave me their first season orders. Only Scot, David and Mick to hand in first season orders.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 13 2018, 14:58

First Season orders to be handed in no latter than the 25th.
Already have orders from George, Bill, Brian and myself.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Fri Feb 09 2018, 12:08

The ones from Crescent and Cross, I'd suggest, coupled with the errata.
Back to top Go down
David McQ

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Fri Feb 09 2018, 07:56

What rules are we using for banners during the campaign? Since I've got one right off the bat!
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Fri Feb 09 2018, 01:03

Edit to message below - yeah, I did.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Fri Feb 09 2018, 00:41

The Anglo-Saxons are happy with any sensible decisions.

I ordered the 2nd ed rulebook, it releases next week. Not ordered the Age of Vikings book - yet. Want to see the changes to the core rules first. 10 quid for core rulebook, soft back, 50 pages. Only one scenario in the book, the vanilla Clash of Kings battle from the 1st book.

Some more info trickling through regarding Age of Vikings factions. Rules overhauls for most of them. For instance, hearing Norse-Gaels no longer use challenges. Rules on adapting factions from other books to the period, ie Saxons from Aetius and Arthur book can double for Germanic tribes. Also included are relics and artefacts that can buff units.

Included factions are Anglo-Saxons, Welsh, Vikings, Normans, Anglo-Danes, Last Romans, Norse-Gaels, Pagan Rus, Irish, Scots, Carolingians, and Jomsvikings. So, lost are Franks, Bretons, Strathclyde, and Byzantines. Some, such as Breton Cavalry, are now hired mercenaries.

Every chance by the time you read this, I've caved in and bought the Vikings book too...
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Thu Feb 08 2018, 01:08

Stuart I will be handing out the sheets on Sunday.
I have reprinted player sheets with no forces on them you can build your faction as you like, just let me know when you hand in your first order.

First order has to be in before the last Monday of this month.
Games will be played during March with the second season orders being returned before the last Monday in March. Second season games will be played during April with third season orders returned before the last Monday in April and so on until we complete 8 seasons.

When all orders are in I will post them on here on the last Monday of the Month and you can arrange games thereafter.

Hope this suits the Anglo-Saxons king
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Wed Feb 07 2018, 16:36

I am away on holiday next week and wont be back until the start of March, Eddie will you be in on Sunday? If so I can pop in and pick up my faction sheet and find out how to list my orders before the campaign starts in March Smile
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 22:28

I don't have an axe to grind, or wish to "sour" your experience. I never realised starting with a balanced force would be such a problem ?

I will hand out the sheets as I have them, it will be handy for players to know the names of their troops and to keep a record as the month's go by.

Levy will not generate a SAGA dice as per the rules.

You were correct Scot I only felt factions with a similar composition at the start would make it more fun.

Levy/skirmishers are not great for the Scots like most of the other factions, so if you don't want them then that's fair enough by me.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 19:42

No, I think I understood, I was saying why I don't believe it would work, or that we need to incentivise the use of Levy. If people want to use them, that's their choice, we don't need to manage that choice beyond our own roster.
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 18:51

I think you may have misunderstood my earlier post Scot,
I used my earlier suggestion as an example of using a carrot in place of a stick, it was in no way me trying to reintroduce my suggestion.
If you reread it you will see i said "if Eddie is set on trying to get players to use levy then we could consider an incentive option.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 16:33

There's no need for someone else to take on the bookkeeping. What needs to stop is inventing solutions to problems we don't have.

It was agreed we wouldn't wait for Saga 2nd edition, we'd use 1st edition. So cherry-picking 2nd ed rules with a lack of context is potentially game-breaking. The rule of levy generating Saga dice is offset by the fact a Warlord generates only 1 in 2nd ed.

The campaign system is skewed to give you more Levy as the seasons go on through the special rules, and fate tables, than it does Warriors or Hearthguard. That organic progression is all the incentive needed to use them. I ended up fielding 2 full units of them by the end of the last campaign, so there's no need to foist them on people, just because it might be nice.

Any house-ruling should be agreed by all players in the campaign. The only potential issue we had from the 1st campaign was the need to manage the number of games played in a season. I proposed that we stick to the game's rules by having 4 week seasons to arrange a game within, and if you are unable to you must use the danegeld rules. If we need to restrict it further, I suggested the house-rule of not being able to target a player you played in the previous season, but that too needs agreed upon by all.

You'd have saved yourself that writing had you spoken to us all first, Eddie. We appreciate that you've been running this for us, but these restrictions to problems that never existed are just souring the experience before we have begun.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 16:07

Don't have an argument with all the points you have made, still feel it would be fairer to have all the forces starting with the same configuration.
After the campaign starts factions will fairly quickly alter to suite what you want. I don't see any problem with having a unit of skirmishers, using skirmishers adds a different tactical flavour to the game.

I have spent time writing up all the sheets and attempting to get this new campaign started again but I am very happy for someone else to do the "bookkeeping".
I have no problem with that, any volunteers ?
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 15:47

I doesn't really change what I am starting with but this is why I suggested using the (levy generate a command dice rule) to give players an incentive to use levy rather than a restriction to force their use.

To save any argument i would suggest removing the restriction.
If Eddie is set on trying to get players to use levy then we could consider an incentive option.
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 15:33

I of course was not in the last campaign so can't comment on it but although I understand the reason behind having everyone starting with the same force make up (making the field even on day one) I do have to agree that shouldn't each player decide what units they take at the start as long as it doesn't exceed the points agreed or any rules in the book. Just me two cents worth Laughing
Back to top Go down
David McQ

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 13:23

It does seem like a bit of a weird decision Eddie. I would have preferred to be able to play with th models I actually have At the start, rather than having to borrow or source them from somewhere.

What was the reasoning behind It?
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 13:13

Because it's been written down that's how it is? That's just ridiculous.

It was a nonsense concept in the first place, and perhaps you should have discussed this with all the players before making that decision. House rules such as that should be agreed by all players before setting them in stone. None of this was neccessary last time, so why bother know?

Still waiting for the reasoning behind it.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 13:01

No problem Stuart.

Scot all factions will be starting with 1 Hearthguard unit, 2 Warrior units and 1 Levy/Skirmisher unit. All the sheets are written and that is what we will all start with. Once the 8 turn campaign starts you can build units as you please.

Last edited by Ed McKie on Wed Feb 07 2018, 02:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 09:07

Thanks Eddie, thought I'd lost it.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Feb 06 2018, 08:20

Reread it, yes, the example is clearer about it. The wording in the resilience rule is that if the Warlord suffers 2 or more hits, and would be removed as a casualty, you may remove a non-Levy figure within VS in his place. Whereas the example shows it on a hit-by-hit basis. Another inconsistency of these rules.

Still don't get why you're determining people's force composition for them. As I said on Sunday, making all these unnecessary rules is needlessly complicating things. If it were required, it'd be in the rules already. There are already built in restrictions to force construction in terms of your Land/Wealth/Rep, so why dictate more? If the game is balanced at 1 Hearthguard = 2 Warriors = 4 Levy, it shouldn't matter what people spend their initial 4pts on, as it should all work out equally.

It's not needed, and I'm yet to hear a reasonable argument in support of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   

Back to top Go down

Saga campaign
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ayr Wargames Club :: Welcome :: Welcome-
Jump to: