Ayr Wargames Club

A place for our members to meet and plan games, debate issues and organize trips.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Saga campaign

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Sep 17 2018, 11:22

Yesterday David defeated Stuart.
Last Sunday Stuart defeated Brian and Scot defeated George.
Next week Scott is fighting Bill then George and Mick and Eddie are having two scraps . Mick might not make it in ?
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Aug 27 2018, 18:25

Sounds good Scot, happy to try it out. SAGA has been good for games and mixing up games with over half the club membership.

Ed
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Aug 27 2018, 16:21

It needs some refinement, a bit of number-crunching, and properly drafted. It also needs some proper playtesting. We have a few months of the year left to work on that, should we either not get the system in the book of battles, or it be unusable.

I'm happy to get all that done and present it to the group, see what everyone thinks, then we can decide if we want to continue.

Don't think it should require much book-keeping, other than keeping individual rosters and a league table.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Aug 27 2018, 15:34

Would you be happy to do all the book keeping. Your idea sounds fairer and should be easy to grasp, well for the majority at least.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Aug 27 2018, 14:38

Yeah, I've been saying these rules are shit since last year. Glad people are finally noticing.

Apologies, there's been a T missed somewhere when I was logging Scot and Scott. That makes sense, though, I must've been thinking about our last game of the campaign last year. Doesn't make a huge amount of difference to the numbers though. Just thought it all made interesting reading as we headed into the penultimate season, not asking anyone to defend their decisions. Everyone will have played the game to their own advantage, that's how these things work, the game doesn't preclude that, and is probably a fair reflection on how the interactions between factions went down in the Dark Ages.

Like you say, hopefully we'll get a far more balanced campaign system soon to replace this sack of mince. It had some good ideas, but the execution is dreadful. Unfortunatelty, it is just conjecture that the Book of Battles will contain some form of campaign system, so we don't know for definite yet.

I have been working on a rudimentary, simple ladder system for use with Saga 2, using just the core rulebook, so that it works with any of the universe books. The single scenario in the rulebook has multiple ways of playing, so there's enough variety to make each game different, but not so much that it is unbalanced in the way the various scenarios used in Age of the Wolf have proven to be.

Each player would play every other player twice, 'home' and 'away'. Whomever is the home player in a game counts as First Player as per the deployment and setup rules in the rulebook. So everyone will have the same number of games.

The other option is to set a number of seasons ala Age of the Wolf, with players allowed to nominate their own target for that season. Each season equates to a 4-6 week period. Players may not target a player they have already chosen in a previous season. So if we had a 9 player campaign, with six seasons, each player would play at least one game a season. The attacking player would count as First Player as per the deployment and setup rules in the scenario.

Each player begins with a 4 point army as per their faction rules.

Victory conditions in the rulebook scenario is determined by Massacre Points, which it explains in the scenario itself. A win is worth 3 Victory Points (VPs), a draw is 1 Victory Point, and nothing for a loss. However, each player's total Massacre Points (MPs) from each game are recorded as a running total from game to game also.

VPs are used to determine standing in the table, with MPs used like goal difference, to place the order of players with the same VPs. However, when the campaign ends, MPs can be traded for bonus VPs. For each 10 MPs traded in, you get one extra VP. The remaining balance of MPs is still used to determine draws in the final standings, again like goal difference in football. The player with the most VPs (and most MPs in the case of a VP tie) is the campaign winner.

But there's another use for MPs. After each game, players roll a dice for each model lost. Levy are killed outright on a 1, 2 or 3. Warriors are lost on a 1 or 2, and Hearthguard are dead on a roll of a 1. On any other result, the model is returned to its unit. Warlords lost in battle are never diced for, it will be assumed they survived or are replaced. MPs can then be spent to pay for recruitment, at a rate of 1MP for a Levy model, 2MPs for a Warrior, and 4 MPs for a single Hearthguard.

MPs can also be spent to reinforce a unit above its starting level, such as adding two extra warriors to an 8 man unit to take it to 10 men. Units cannot be taken above 12 men. If a unit falls below 4 men strong, the unit is disbanded, and those remaining models can be added to another unit if there is space. Otherwise they are lost.

MPs can be used to recruit a new unit. MPs must be spent at the equivalent rate of recruiting a new 1pt unit of a specific unit type, ie 12MPs to recruit a unit of 12 Levy, 16MPs to recruit 8 Warriors, or 16MPs to recruit a new unit of 4 Hearthguard.

Still a few details to work out, but that's the jist of it so far.

It may be a moot point if the Book of Battles has a proper workable campaign system, but as I said above, we've no guarantee of that yet.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Aug 27 2018, 12:21

Scot I have only fought you once but Scott twice. I have a blood feud against Mick that is why I have attacked him for the second and last time. I am allied to Brian so George is more than likely my last opponent.
Hope the new campaign rules are out for next year as these are definitely flawed as both George and Scott reaffirmed yesterday.
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Aug 27 2018, 11:37

@Scot, i should be free on the 9th, happy to set our game for then.
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Aug 27 2018, 11:10

Very interesting read, most players seem to be about the same for games played (although I seem to be a popular target it seems lol) and for the most part an even spread of opponents, thanks Scot
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Aug 27 2018, 10:30

Interesting times indeed, Eddie. I thought I'd do some analytics on the spread of games and orders, as it's the penultimate season. These include the orders given for season 7, and assume they've been played.

Scott is the most pro-active player. His Welsh warband has raided 7 times, once a season, against a different opponent each time. The only player he's yet to raid is David. He's clearly (and rightly) feared, as so far only 3 players have challenged him - Bill, Stuart and myself.

Stuart has been our busiest player, with a whopping 12 games played vs a campaign average of 8.4 games per player. Only 5 have been instigated by him however, 7 coming from other players. He's played Bill, Brian, Scott and Dave twice.

Dave has played the least games. He's only had 5 games, twice each vs Brian and Stuart, once vs Eddie. Forgetting his orders in the first seasons hurt his campaign.

Brian has played 10 games, though only 3 of his making. He's been challenged 7 times, playing Dave, George, Stuart, and myself twice.

Mick has the 3rd lowest number of games played on 7, with 4 of them being vs Eddie once S7 is complete, the most common pairing in the campaign to date.

Bill and myself are both in a just-below-average of 8 games each. Bill's raided and been raided 4 times apiece, having played twice vs Scott and Stuart. I've campaigned 5 times, and have played Scott, Brian and Eddie twice.

George takes 2nd place for least games played on just 6, 3 of those being through his own raiding. He's only played Brian more than once so far, each having raided the other.

Finally, Eddie is on 10 games. He's raided 5 times, once each vs David, Stuart and myself, and twice vs Mick. He's played Mick 4 times, myself twice and Stuart, Bill, David and Scott once.

We've played 38 games this year, including season 7's orders, for an average of 8.4 games per player. The raid order is by far the most popular order, having been issued 27 times. Defend orders have been given 25 times - some of them by default due to Warlord injury or missing the orders deadline - and campaigning has taken place 11 times.

Some food for thought there, especially as we head into the final season.

George, are you available the weekends of the 9th or 23rd to get our game in?

Last edited by ScotR on Mon Aug 27 2018, 11:31; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Sun Aug 26 2018, 22:45

Season 7 orders;

Stuart is raiding Brian.
Scott is raiding George.
Ed is raiding Mick.
Scot is campaigning against George.
George is defending.
Bill is raiding Scott.
Brian is defending.
Mick is raiding Ed.
David is campaigning against Stuart.

Interesting times in Saga land.
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Sun Aug 26 2018, 22:13

Scot explained they don't leave until recipient has read them, didn't realise that just assumed it was like email so disregard lol
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Sun Aug 26 2018, 20:08

Anyone else having problems sending private messages in the forum? Mine don't seem to want to leave the outbox lol
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Sat Aug 25 2018, 19:59

As expected including yesterdays results shows a dramatic improvement by one of the factions, 7VP gained in one season and by a long way the most points any Warlord has ever gained in one season.

Land.   Wealth.   Reputation.     Power.   VP.

Scott.       3.          10.          4.               22.       13.
Stuart.      8.            1.          4.               20.       14.
Ed.            1.           8.           4.               20.       14.
George.      3.           3.           5.               17.        4.
Bill.            3.           2.           5.               16.        4.
Scot.          4.           4.           4.               20.        4.
Brian.         3.           4.           4.               19.        4.
David.         4.           3.          2.                 15.       2.
Mick.           2.           4.          3.                17.        1.

Table is in order of standing after 6 seasons.
Orders for the penultimate season in no later than next Sunday please.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Jul 31 2018, 13:23

Standings at end of season 5 are;

Land  Wealth Reputation  Power   VP
Mick             2         4           3            17     1
Bill               3         3           5            17     3  
David           4         3           2            14     2
Ed               2         8           4            21    12
George         3         3           4            16     1  
Stuart          5         3           3           19      7
Brian            3         6           4           19      2  
Scott           3         9           3           20     10
Scot            4         4           4           19      4

As someone has four skirmishes this turn, expect dramatic changes to standings in season 6.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Sun Jul 29 2018, 21:37

Season 5 was completed with Stuart defeating Brian and today Bill thwarted Micks raid.

Season 6 orders;
Ed is raiding David.
Mick is defending.
Scott raiding Stuart.
Brian is raiding George.
Bill is raiding Stuart.
Stuart is campaigning against Scott.
Scot is campaigning against Stuart.
David is defending.
George is raiding Brian.

Give you standings shortly.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Fri Jul 27 2018, 17:27

Remember season 6 orders must be in on Sunday otherwise you will be assumed to be defending for season 6. David don't forget.
Have 2 Warlords orders already.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Jul 23 2018, 12:28

I will post it next Sunday along with season 6 orders.
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Jul 23 2018, 11:02

Any chance of getting the current standings? With only one game left in season 5 (Bill and Mick which maybe a danegeld outcome anyway) it won't make much difference to the list Smile
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Fri Jul 13 2018, 16:41

Season 6 orders in no later than the 29th.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Jul 09 2018, 10:40

Yesterday Stuart defeated David's invasion handsomely.
Ed raided Scott winning a pyrrhic victory in a bloody encounter where Scott's warband gained in strength and power while Ed 's gained nothing.
Scott then raided Ed but in a cagey game that ran out of time neither side could prevail.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Tue Jun 26 2018, 22:44

Season 4 is now completed.
Standings are as follows.
              Land  Wealth Reputation  Power   VP
Mick            2         5           3            17      0
Bill              3         3           4            16      1   #
David          4         4           2            15      2
Ed               2         7           4            21      9
George        3         3           4            16      1   #
Stuart          3         3           3           16       3
Brian           3          6           4           19      1   #
Scott           2          9           3           18      8
Scot            4          3           4           18      4        

# Includes defending orders for season 5 wealth and troops.
Bill, David and Scott have the most Hearthguard 11 each.
Ed has the most Warriors 40.
Scot has the most Levies 31.

Season 5 orders;

George is defending.
Scott is raiding Ed.
Brian is defending.
Scot is defending.
Stuart is campaigning against Brian.
Bill is defending.
Dave is campaigning against Stuart.
Ed is raiding Scott.
Mick is raiding Bill.

Slight change from Sunday as Bill had already handed in his orders week's before where he had to defend.

So George and Scot have no skirmishes in July. Scot you have still to receive 1 wealth and troops for defending so let me know what you want.

Hope all is well.

The King in the North.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Fri Jun 22 2018, 02:52

Remember Sunday is last day for orders for season 5.

Ed
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Jun 11 2018, 14:21

If by 'ran away' you mean 'achieved and surpassed the victory conditions by leaving the battlefield with minimal casualties, thereby nullifying the OpFor's ambush,' then yes, I 'ran away.' Good to see that the art of strategy isn't lost on some of our members. Razz
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Jun 11 2018, 10:07

Yesterday Scot and Scott had two encounters. First one was won by Scot who ran away to claim victory however the second was won by Scott who left only the Saxon warlord alive, the most destructive defeat ever suffered by any Warlord ever.

All fighting is over for this campaign season. Orders for fifth season required no later than the 24th. Have three Warlords orders in already.

The King in the North
Back to top Go down
Stuart@StudioMiniatures

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   Mon Jun 04 2018, 11:10

Of course, the term vendetta comes from the old Norse "vin droit agata" meaning you stole my wine I'll kill you Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saga campaign   

Back to top Go down

Saga campaign
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ayr Wargames Club :: Welcome :: Welcome-
Jump to: