Ayr Wargames Club

A place for our members to meet and plan games, debate issues and organize trips.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Club Games Planning Area

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 32 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
George

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 09 2016, 22:34

Our restrictions on under 16 year-old's would help limit that number somewhat but I do believe showing a wider variety of what gets played would be a good idea.

The website's "periods of play" section is almost entirely historical until the last three entries which unfortunately rarely get played nowadays (probably doesn't help that the rulebook pictures are for obsolete editions).
There are several rules sets we are frequently playing which aren't even mentioned.
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 09 2016, 22:20

Well folks, the creative juices are flowing now lol. Looks like there are lots of good ideas to have a good look at. I for am bit of a dinosaur, and have no intention of joining Facebook or Twitter or any other social media, partly because I find it too much hassle and partly because I can't be arsed. It is another distraction that might take away some of my painting/modelling/historical research. But by all means I do agree that if as a club we could get more exposure, well that can only be a good thing for the club. Half a dozen new members would be fantastic and would go a long way to helping out with the finances. We do have a few hundred quid in our kitty but if only 3 or 4 people can come in and we have to cover the extra cost, the kitty would dry up soon.
It is great that Steve has agreed [ coerced ] lol, to revamp our website as it has been in it's present form for a few years now. One wee thought just crossed my mind as well, a few years ago the Dumfries lads decided to do something similar and put on their site that they often played Magic [ you know, the card game ] and the following week around fifty snotty little teens turned up, so we have to a wee bit careful how we go about all this. Now I have nothing against snotty teens [ well come to think of it, I can't be arsed with them either ] but space for everyone might be a problem in the hall. Keep it up guys, and having a few of our younger members willing to pitch in is great.

cheers John
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 09 2016, 20:43

I'd be happy to help out with that as well. I usually check up on the forum almost every day wouldn't be much hassle checking up on Facebook at the same time.
Back to top Go down
StuartR

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 09 2016, 19:43

I am on facebook 24/7 and would find it easier to use - I'd also be willing to admin it. I also understand that facebook isn't for everyone, although I do think it would much more visible than the current set up.
In terms of a dual set up it would be extremely easy to link topics from the forum to the facebook page and making forum registration a pre-requisite of membership on the facebook group would ensure the forum is not left out in the cold.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 09 2016, 19:21

It'd not be entirely private Doc. A closed group has a front facing page that outline the club details. Once you've joined it appears in your timeline and you can post to it, a secret group would be entirely hidden, and that'd defeat the purpose, yes. But a closed group would appear in searches and the splash page would host public facing information.

The other option is an open group where anyone can join and post and see, and it appears not only in your timeline but if you post/like something, it'll copy to your friends' timelines. Everything is accessible in this case - posts, photos, members details etc. That may entice people, but lets face it, not everyone wants that repeating on their friendslists.

Some of the biggest wargames pages are closed. I'm a member of a number of them, wargames trading, historical wargames trading, oldhammer trading, Chain of Commmand, Battlegroup, 15mm sci-fi, the list is huge.

One look at our closest clubs - Prestwick and North Ayrshire, shows both approaches. Prestwick has a reasonably active website in terms of blogs, galleries etc, but a closed Facebook page where arrangements and general communication are made. North Ayrshire have a content heavy site with integrated forums and an open facebook page with lots of pics. On a side note, I've just discovered the Games and Theory club that runs on a Saturday at the Citadel through a link on the North Ayrshire page. Maybe worth getting a link on there to us too.

Having an active up-to-date site requires a bit of work though. Our forum needs to be integrated to the site, and to be fleshed out - it needs more than one active thread with a few posts a week to be more functional. A Facebook page would not replace that, but it would compliment it with little in the way of admin required, and reach more people than the forums and site currently do.

I used to be Community Manager for The Online Racing Association, a virtual motorsport organiser. We started with 8 members in 2008. It's currently got over 1500 on its Facebook page alone, and it still operates predominantly from a forum. It took an absolute shitload of work producing content to grow that community, but social media was key to doing so. I had to jack it in 2012 after the wean was born as I didn't have the time, but it has got stronger since - at one point we had a weekly program on Motors TV on Sky, for instance.

The site and forum as is are pretty stagnant. There's much could be done, and hopefully Steve's revamp will help that. While it functions for the current membership, that's clearly not enough to keep the club operating if we're looking at Sundays the club isn't on.

I'm trying not to be you're-playing-it-wrong-Scot (even though you are) here and saying 'we must do this!' I'm trying to put forward my experience and ideas as to how the club could improve prospects, as I don't want to see it flounder. I wish I could commit every Sunday and be there more regularly, but I just can't, and many of us are in that boat. So attracting new members is probably the best avenue to cover costs, and I reckon the foremost way of doing so is increasing online presence.
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 09 2016, 17:41

Making a group on Facebook private only hides posted content, the groups description etc is still visible and the group could still be advertised by admin or members posting a link on their status or home page. Plus it's free.

Both idea's have merit and could be implemented.
Increasing member numbers would seem to be something of a necessity as currently we have only around 12-14 regulars of which only just over 50% can make it every week, with new costs we need at least 7-8 per Sunday for a cost effective day.
As Doc said better planning of games would also help.
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 09 2016, 16:38

I will be in most Sundays from now on, will be in on 20th March but not Easter Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 09 2016, 15:52

On the answer of more members/consistency. We just need to be smarter about planning our Sundays and being more proactive on the forum to say when we will be in.  I probabliy means some extra forward planning for some people to be able to say what days they would be in so it is known in advance how many people will be in on any given Sunday.

Maybe we could set up a calendar on the forum and people could fill it in?  I'll talk to Steve as it probably needs setup by Administration.

I will be in 20th March.  I am unsure about Easter Sunday, night have something on, I trying to get confirmation.  April I should be in every Sunday.

If there was a Facebook group that was private it defeats your publicity on Facebook arguement Scott. I think we should look at places to get listed on th net. Lists of wargames groups, South Ayrshire What's on/clubs thing, things like that. I need to check as I saw there is/was a wargames group at UWoS. So maybe some info to them would be useful.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Tue Mar 08 2016, 22:57

Have got both Falkirk and Claymore booked in as holidays John. Missus wasn't impressed at first, but then I reminded her we don't actually like spending time together, so she was alright after that.

Shame about the club not being able to run weekly. Maybe we can brainstorm some ideas in a few weeks time to see how to get more members/more consistency/more for our money. I'm sure the website is due an overhaul as Steve has asked for ideas, but I think there needs to be a bigger social media presence, ie Facebook. Love it or hate it, it's at the forefront of social media, and can be used effectively for organising weekends, member communication, linking material, and general presentation of the club, while reaching a bigger potential userbase than the forums or website does. It can also be made a closed group so nothing is disclosed to members' feeds and new members can be vetted before accepting them.

I'll disengage salesperson mode now...
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Tue Mar 08 2016, 22:36

These things can't be helped Dave, never mind you can have a few shandies with your mate instead.

J
Back to top Go down
David McQ

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Tue Mar 08 2016, 21:44

I wanted to go to dumfries, but I've got a mate up from London for his bday, so sadly had to pass to do stuff with him!
Ashame about sun, I was going to go Smile I'll be in the following sun tho!
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Tue Mar 08 2016, 20:41

Hi Scot

There is always Falkirk and Edinburgh later this year, they are much bigger shows anyway. You have got to keep the ladies sweet, makes brownie points for something else lol.

Guys it looks like the club will NOT be on this coming Sunday. Cameron, Allan and myself won't be in and there are probably a few more of you. As you know we have had an large increase in the hall rental, and we may find that there may well be more weeks that it will not be viable to run the club if we don't have enough members coming in to cover the cost. 1 will keep you all posted anyway.

cheers
John
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Mon Mar 07 2016, 22:08

Looks like none of us can make it, John. I'd kept a bank holiday free for it to get it off work, but the missus decided it was better spent the week after to spend the day with her... sigh... Stuart isn't going, and Dave didn't think he would be able to last we talked about it.
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Mon Mar 07 2016, 20:58

Dave, Stuart and Scot, are any of you intending to go to Dumfries show this Saturday coming?. If so please let me know asap and that way I can get you in one of the cars.

Cheers John
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Sat Mar 05 2016, 20:26

Brian and myself will not be in tomorrow.We are going to Dumfries next Saturday so if anyone needs a lift let me know.

Ed
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 03 2016, 19:00

Graham and I are having a WW2 Rapid Fire Game, not sure about anyone else though.

John
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 03 2016, 00:38

Any plans for this Sunday? Any idea who is going to be in?
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Sun Feb 28 2016, 00:26

I will not be in today, bad cold myself. Can try the Sword and Spear game another day.
Unlikely to make it next week, but will be going to Dumfries the following Saturday.

Ed
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Sat Feb 27 2016, 19:12

Unfortunately won't make it in tomorrow due to flu, both kids, me and the missus have been ill since Monday.
Hopefully back in next week.

Sorry Eddie.
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Mon Feb 22 2016, 15:40

Allan and Ally are playing their next CoC campaign game on Sunday, and I will be umpiring.

John
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Mon Feb 22 2016, 00:55

Next Sunday George and myself will try out a game of Sword and Spear.
I will make up an Assyrian army and a Persian army. If someone else would like to try out the rules I am quite happy to umpire the game.

Ed

Last edited by Ed McKie on Tue Feb 23 2016, 00:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Sun Feb 21 2016, 10:24

Hi Eddie

We can work armies out today before game.

John
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Sat Feb 20 2016, 10:01

Should I bring my French?
Did you work out armies for the game John or will we do it tomorrow?

Ed
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Fri Feb 19 2016, 20:18

No problem George, I know it's not your type of game. Graham reckons he will be in as well, so he can play syw too. That seems to be everyone covered.

John
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Fri Feb 19 2016, 13:15

Sounds good Dave.

Eddie your welcome to join if John would rather play than umpire?
Same for anyone else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   

Back to top Go down

Club Games Planning Area
Page 28 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 32 ... 37  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ayr Wargames Club :: Welcome :: Welcome-
Jump to: