Ayr Wargames Club

A place for our members to meet and plan games, debate issues and organize trips.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Club Games Planning Area

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
David Sargent

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 17 2016, 07:36

Rules were great fun and seemed ideal for a big game - we had six on either side on Sunday. Very fast play but don't know if the are historically accurate! They also seem to need a gridded mat to play as well. Jim said they paid about £40 for each of theirs.

DS
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 17 2016, 02:00

Sounds good Dave, would you recommend the rules?

Ed
Back to top Go down
David Sargent

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 16 2016, 21:49

Went along last Sunday to the Dumfries club's big game. Renaissance Italian Wars pike and shot.

If nothing else, it allowed me to get my 28mm pike and shot figures on the table at last. Even though my Scots and Irish were masquerading as Italians for the day! Rules used were 'To The Strongest' - playing card deck driven, played on a grided mat. No measuring, no dicing, just fast moving, very unpredictable and great fun.

DS
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 16 2016, 21:23

Graham & I will play a game of Kings of War.  Scott will play with us if he is in, he's unsure if he will be at the moment.
Ally won't be in as he is working.
Back to top Go down
David McQ

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Mon Mar 14 2016, 16:28

Me scot and stu are in this sun. Either playing dragon rampant, play testing the zombie game or some combination of the 2!
Still gutted I missed dumfries Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ed McKie

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Mon Mar 14 2016, 14:10

Brian and myself are playing an AWI 28mm game trying out the new Osprey rule set.

Ed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Sun Mar 13 2016, 22:57

It was a good day out.

Will be in this week, Spoke to Stuart about playtesting his zombie game this Sunday as he's hoping to get in.

Brian and Eddie are planning a ACW game this Sunday I believe.
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Sun Mar 13 2016, 20:34

Had a good day at Dumfries and was quite frugal too, I got all the stuff I had wanted and a couple more as usual.

Next Sunday [10th ] Allan and I are trying out a horse and musket ruleset called Field of Battle, which we will give a go using Seven Years War figures.

John
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Sat Mar 12 2016, 20:59

Yes off tomorrow. Need to lie down after I worked out how much I spent. It was a good day, if tiring. Thanks to Allan, Brian & Graham for driving so we could all attend.
Poor Graham had to put up with Ally & I falling asleep on the way back. Lovely warm sunshine after we got out of misty Dumfries & Graham had left the heating on from out chillier trip down in the morning. I was in New Cumnock, blinked & was in Coylton. That felt weird, then I realised I had fallen asleep. Sleep

See you all a week tomorrow,
Doc
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Sat Mar 12 2016, 16:36

Guys remember that the club is not on tomorrow.

Steve, we have looked at other venues but all the others we found were much more expensive than where we are at the moment. Anywhere council owned is just completely crazy prices. It would be better if we could work something out here.

John
Back to top Go down
Steve (Admin)
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Sat Mar 12 2016, 14:15

Surely if things are getting more difficult to maintain a regular club meeting at the Church Hall then perhaps a new venue should be considered?

Just saying.
Back to top Go down
http://ayrwargamesclub.co.uk
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 22:51

I'd certainly considered going to the Prestwick club on a Wednesday night on the odd occasion as I can't always make the Sunday. Maybe making an effort to do so would open things up a bit between the clubs, these things can be quite secular sometimes.

I'd also reclarify that I wasn't suggesting replacing the forum and requiring everyone to have a facebook account. I see a Facebook group as a more visible waypoint directing everyone to the forum. At the moment, that's kinda like using Kate Upton to draw folk in, then sending them to see Susan Boyle... but that can be worked on.

In on the 20th next, would be good to get half an hour with everyone to discuss it all in person.
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 22:08

The problem with that Dave is that Sunday is probably not suitable for them, and I think trying to poach another Club's members might cause some animosity. It would be ideal if we could mix in players from both clubs but a lot of our members wouldn't be able to attend another club through the week

It looks like keeping to 16 and over is the best way to go, it is a pity but the implications of getting younger members is too much hassle.

Whatever way we go with fees etc Scot, it has to be as fair as possible for all. But I certainly don't mind a higher weekly fee or adding in a yearly one of payment too. All in all it isn't that much for all the enjoyment I get from our hobby.

We can all think about everything brought up and have a chat over the next few weeks, then we can decide which way we will go.

I certainly think our forum is badly underused and I would prefer to use it as a means of getting all our games organised.

John
Back to top Go down
David McQ

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 21:56

Plus the easy solution to the fb/forum issue and double post issue is to use the forum for who's coming in on what days, arranging anything official, stuff like that. And use Fb for the flashy advertising/first contact for new members. Fill it with photos of games, contact info, prices and general things that's happening. Best of both worlds.
Back to top Go down
David McQ

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 21:53

This other club that's on wed, I think. What about getting some of them to come on a sun, at least as a short term solution? Would inject a bit more money/bodies into the club per week.
Plus George knows the guys and could sound them out?
Back to top Go down
David Sargent

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 17:14

Yes Doc. Hope to be there for a wee while anyway. May pick up a few figures that I'm never going to have the time to paint Crying or Very sad

DS
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 16:22

Yeah, think keeping it over 16 is the easiest option. It's changed days from 20 years ago when we were youngsters. Besides, I imagine they spend most of their time in the GW in the town if they want to do any gaming.

I'm not adverse to a price increase per week, but I'm only in once a month usually. What may be 6 quid for me could be 24 for someone else with better attendance.
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 15:42

Although it is made out the PVG scheme is different, it still involves checks for every individual group, club or work environment you will be using it for.  After the initial cost to the individual to join the scheme, the organisation has to then pay to check your PVG if it is an existing PVG membership & a further fee if anything is "discovered" to find out what that is.
I'm sure all the hassle of Disclosure was the reason we decided to not have under 16s at the club and it was one less headache.  As you say Dave, the checked person will always have to be there, so what happens if they are ill or on holiday, etc.  Would mean you would probably need 2 people.

On a lighter note, are you going along to Dumfries this weekend?
Back to top Go down
David Sargent

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 15:08

The old disclosure procedure had to be completed for EVERY different situation where you had contact with vulnerable groups. I've had about six done for my different teaching/tutoring/coaching over the years.

However the new PVG apparently is done every three years and is universal. I am just having to renew mine. The trouble with the new certification, however, is that you have to state in the application whether it is to cover contact with adults or children. My current one will be for adults only because I no longer teach in schools.

I have no idea what all this costs as mine is paid for by the Regional Council but it does make coping with under 16's in your club/organisation much more difficult as you obviously need someone with the certificate to be present whenever they are.
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 13:22

Don't we need at least 1 attending member each week with a disclosure to do that?
Unfortunately I think mine is obsolete and I'm not overly inclined to renew(£26-44) as I wouldn't need it other than for the club.
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 11:56

All good ideas guys, we will certainly have to look at all options. As for sexing up the website, Steve for god's sake keep your clothes on lol!!!.

Another option we could possibly pursue is that many years ago we did have a one of yearly fee which boosts the coffers very quickly. Don't quote me on the number, we could make it anything, but a one of £25 each would raise over three hundred quid. I do realise that some members who don't or can't manage into club as often as others, are at a disadvantage. I am loathe to put up our weekly charge of £5 to anything higher, again that might be a possibility too.

At the moment we now need 7 full paying members in each week to get the £35 that the hall fee has become, we could maybe set a limit of say 5 people in and any lower we would have to cancel the club. That still gives us a shortfall of a tenner that somehow needs made up. A few new members would be a great help .

On the subject of teenage members, does anyone think we should change our policy and actively try recruiting some younger members. We could make the age limit fourteen and over, but there are a few implications there for us. Most of our Ahem!! younger members joined the club as teens are are still with us, although we did lose a lot over the years.

cheers

John
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 07:45

No, I'm not saying replace the forum in that respect. The forum works for the majority, and would continue to be the hub. Think of the Facebook page as more of a marketing tool to try and catch peoples' attention, engage with them, and then direct them to the forum. It's not about replacing anything, it's about reaching more people.

That's the way we worked it in the site I was involved with before, and that was with hundreds of people across the world, not a dozen guys from Ayrshire, so I'm fairly confident of how that all works in practice.

As for the forum, as it currently stands - which I stress, is functional for us - consists of 1 thread that's regularly active. Everything else is supefluous. Well that's not a forum, that's a chat, or a blog at best.

When we found the club website back in 2012/3, we were inspired to pop along and say hello, which led to us getting back into the hobby. But we knew nothing of the forum until the first time we came and were given the link link for it. That should be part of the site, to allow potential members to contact us and see what we're all about.

And in that respect, while functional, the forum is hardly appealing. Recategorizing it, changing the theme, and (most importantly) an effort from all of us to use it more often in order to flesh it out would work wonders, as opposed to a post once a week to say in or out.

I'm also wondering if we could organise more inter-club games. If we approached the Prestwick and Citadel clubs, who run on a Wednesday and Saturday, and challenge them to some games along the lines of the Sheffield ones. There's no clash, so maybe that might attract them to come join us on the odd Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Thu Mar 10 2016, 04:19

The main concern I would have over having a forum and a facebook page is either messages are getting missed because they are posted on one but not the other or communication splits with some folk using the forum & some Facebook. To make sure messages aren't missed you then end up having to post messages twice in two different places online & that would get tiresome really quickly.

I'm also not sure how you "sex up" the Forum. Do you invent threads to make it look busy & superfun? This might sound sarcastic, I don't mean I to be. Its an honest question to find out what you are meaning Scot. As far as I see it the Forum is a communication tool for the club.

Going to bed now, but the point of dual channel comms & things being missed was niggling at me Sleep
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 09 2016, 23:25

I've created a placeholder group on facebook and set it to secret so it can't be found or seen until we reach a consensus on how to go forward with this, and the forum and site are revamped and all three can be integrated. Easily removed if it's a non-starter, but we can work on it in the meantime.

In other news, Stuart, Dave and myself are in on the 20th to try out Dragon Rampant.
Back to top Go down
johnny789

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   Wed Mar 09 2016, 23:03

That's right George, whether it is a good idea to restrict our membership to over sixteen or not, I don't know.

Get all your ideas about our website sent to Steve. Rules ,periods played etc will come and go as time passes. Wargaming can be very much the current trend that gets played the most, sometimes only for a couple of months. I have always thought that the variety of games played is one of the big strengths of our club, it never gets boring.

John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Club Games Planning Area   

Back to top Go down

Club Games Planning Area
Page 27 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 32 ... 37  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ayr Wargames Club :: Welcome :: Welcome-
Jump to: