Ayr Wargames Club

A place for our members to meet and plan games, debate issues and organize trips.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Archive (old posts)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
StuartR

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Fri Jul 03 2015, 15:31

gonna cycle up again
Back to top Go down
David McQ

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Fri Jul 03 2015, 14:23

Ooh interesting. Sounds good. Nah im fine at getting there.
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Fri Jul 03 2015, 13:43

Stuart & Dave I have another game in mind for us & Graham.  Firefly arrived today so we can play that.
Keep flying!
I'll bring Velvet vol 2 in as well. Do you need picked up on Sunday?
Back to top Go down
StuartR

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Fri Jul 03 2015, 00:04

I half fancied dead of winter again but not sure what everyone else had planned
Back to top Go down
David McQ

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Thu Jul 02 2015, 17:33

Me and Stuart will be in. Don't know what we're doing yet tho!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Wed Jul 01 2015, 20:57

Hi Guys

I will be running a BattleGroup Overlord game for four players, so far that is Scoop,50cal McKellar and myself. I could use another player if anyone is interested.

J
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Sun Jun 28 2015, 18:42

Hey folks,

Not much planned for Sunday coming, John and Scoop are playing battlefield.

Doc and myself should be in but not sure who else.
Pls post if your coming in and if there is something you fancy playing.

G.
Back to top Go down
Brian

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Fri Jun 26 2015, 18:42

Hi Allan,

Will be in Sunday and would like to join the Bag the Hun game if possible.

Cheers

Brian
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Fri Jun 26 2015, 17:50

Just heard from Graham. He can't make it in this Sunday.
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Fri Jun 26 2015, 16:40

Bill just txt to let us know he will be in this week and is happy to play whatever is planned.
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Wed Jun 24 2015, 22:08

10,000 seems a good choice
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Wed Jun 24 2015, 21:49

10,000 then? 8,000? I am conscious that BattleTech is a slow playing game and I don't want to overload the game. At 2v2 that'd give us a lance each.

If the construction system locked a design in terms of speed, armour, etc, and all you could modify was weapon loadouts, then that'd be fine. It'd give each official mech an identity that'd be largely retained. But you can change everything. I can change a 40 ton Whitworth into the exact same stats as a 40 ton Cicada. Only thing that identifies that as a Whitworth now is the mini, and the fact its still 40 tons. And thereby, OmniMechs are pointless. The only place an OmniMech has any value is in a campaign game where the time to switch pods and reconfigure is vastly less than the time it takes to refit a BattleMech. As such, it's too easy to use the metagame to exploit the build system.
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Wed Jun 24 2015, 21:17

15000 would be problematic, my first run at it gave me 2 lances of 4 mechs and was only just at 10000.

I don't have more than 2 of the technical readout books and I don't think any of the mechs I own are even in them. I generally just check sarna.net, Google or drawing board for original variants, I use drawing board to come up with designs that fit the look of the model and are somewhat competitive when doing custom builds.

I like the flexibility of the construction rules but agree with some of the things both you and doc are saying, it could be better if they included things like what components are more prevalent in which areas or era's or making locations specific to weapon clases.

G

Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Wed Jun 24 2015, 19:37

The whole construction system of BattleTech has always annoyed me as it essentially makes the Tech Readouts redundant. You might as well say there are 18 chassis, from 20 tons to 100 tons, then outfit them as you want. OmniMechs are pointless as you can modify any Mech as you wish with the construction rules.

Case in point would be the MechWarrior games, 2 and 3 mainly. If you captured a chassis, say a Bushwacker, you could outfit it with anything you want as it remained faithful to the boardgame's construction rules. So you could have an autocannon on the shoulder where the mini has an LRM rack. MechWarrior 4 went some way to fixing this by making each location specific to a class, ie energy, missile or ballistic, while OmniMech pod space was open to all. The boardgame could learn something from that by giving its official background some credence rather than totally undermining it.

There are a number of Mech designs in the 3025 era which I find baffling, but I suppose it's all about how you use them. The 1A1 Charger for example, an 80 ton assault mech that has mounts 5 small lasers. Yes, it probably is best used as a brawler in physical combat given its armour, weight and speed, but then they remove a hand actuator to mount a small laser... The Banshee is the same, an AC5, PPC and a laser, on a 95 tonner. But, I get that much of that is to fit the background, as Doc points out. A lot of the designs are equipped with what is available and cost effective, rather than being meta'd to perfection. Just a shame the construction system makes a complete mockery of that.

To be honest, George, I generally prefer using official designs and loadouts to keep within the background. I'm not a fan of custom Mechs, but I thought I'd rather meet you on terms you guys played. Plus, I fancy trying out some of the level 3 equipment options and rules. On that, I'm thinking we scale the BV back to 12000. I'm nowhere near 15000 with two squads of mechs, so I'm either going to end up with three or four lances, which we don't really have time for, or I'll have 2/3 pilots in everything.

Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Wed Jun 24 2015, 18:59

Thx for the background doc.

Overheating isn't what I meant by an oddity, having ammo stored in your centre torso or weapons with no ammo (yes I found one of them once though can't remember what mech now), narc beacons or tag on a mech which should never get into range to use it or weird weapon load outs where nothing seems to match.

Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Wed Jun 24 2015, 15:53

Allan has said he will do a Bag The Hun game for the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Wed Jun 24 2015, 15:52

Oddities in Inner Sphere designs? Like they overheat. That's intended. Battletech has a collapsing technology base where by only certain facilities make certain items. It depends who controls what territory & what build facilities are available. Most mechs are handed down thorough families or mercenary companies outside of military use. New designs are a lost art as the technology to build from scratch just isn't there.
Then The Grey Death Legion found a Star League Memory Core around 3025 which led to a lot of technology being rediscovered and new innovations developed. The developments are further driven by The Fourth Succession War and later Wolf's Dragoons deciding to betray The Clans by helping the Inner Sphere against the Clan invasion.

A lot of the later 40K technology stuff was kind of taken from the idea of ComStar running the HPG communications network. To outsiders it was quasi religious machine cult, with rituals to make machines work. In reality they knew exactly what they were doing & had Star League tech of their own that they knew how it worked & could manufacture.
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Tue Jun 23 2015, 23:22

I don't have any clan mechs so was happy with IS vs IS, thx for the reminder bout pilots affecting bv .

Off to start printing mech sheets for my inevitable defeat on Sunday, as long as I make a good show of it I'll be happy though. Smile

Cya Sunday.

Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Tue Jun 23 2015, 22:13

Oh, one more thing George. Pilot skills are 4/5 for base BV. If you field a 3/4 pilot, you have to multiply the base BV by 1.25, and for a 2/3 it's 1.50.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Tue Jun 23 2015, 22:01

Feel free to use Clan mechs, I just mean I'm not a fan of putting, for instance, Clan LRMs on an IS design like the Catapult. While I am sure IS vs IS or Clan vs Clan might be more balanced, I think fighting IS vs Clan can work for the IS player depending on the era, tech available and how you play them. Play pre-3055/8 IS designs against Clans and unless you outnumber the Clanners about 3-1, you're generally getting your arse handed to you. The Zellbrigen dueling rules for Clans might go some way to balancing that, but I can't think of any IS design I'd happily pit against a Daishi or Turkina in a duel.

I have just this minute finished printing a copy of Maximum Tech Revised to have available on Sunday to check any rules issues we encounter.
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Tue Jun 23 2015, 21:46

BMR book is fine by me have barely read an of total warfare myself.

No clan tech cool, i find some of the original designs baffling in there oddities so variants and customs are more my thing.
Lvl three also fine don't have all the extra rules down pat but equipment options are cool.

I agree tonnage doesn't work but am told clan vs inner sphere bv ain't better, supposedly fine Is vs Is or clan vs clan but haven't tried so ?
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Tue Jun 23 2015, 21:34

I'm more comfortable with pre-Total Warfare. Even though I pre-ordered Total Warfare and downloaded it on the day of release, I've never actually read the full thing. I started reading them tonight, but I think for Sunday I'd be happier with the BMR rules. I even bought an almost new hardback copy of the Fanpro revision from eBay this week.

I generally prefer playing the official designs, but I am okay with customs if you want to use them. Only thing I don't like is mixing tech, ie Clan equipment on Inner Sphere Mechs. Clans use Clantech, IS use their weak, rubbishy versions. What level of the rules do you play? I prefer level 3 for some of the optional rules such as walking-fire for autocannons and pulse lasers, and some of the cooler equipment options.

15,000 should give somewhere between 5-10 Mechs a side, depending on weight class and BV. Calculating by tonnage is a washout as it's totally unbalanced. A 95 ton Banshee 6S is no match for a 95 ton Gladiator B, there's a 1,000pt BV disparity between them! I don't have much in the way of Clan models, but I've got plenty of plastic Inner Sphere. What I do have is the cardboard standees from the Reinforcements 2 set, they're not pretty but I may use them where I lack a model. Shouldn't make a huge impact on the hex-based game (although they don't suit Alpha Strike as it uses true LOS), but I'll try to field a model in the first instance. It's the BV2.0 version we'll use, think it's the only one used now anyway.
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Tue Jun 23 2015, 21:00

I have both total warfare and BMR books , happy to play either.
Are we using variants? Set lists etc

Haven't actually played BV points as Bill usually just uses tonnage but would be good to get a shot at it, Will check stuff to make sure I can manage 15,000 points and get back to you.

Looking forward to Sunday.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Tue Jun 23 2015, 20:45

Well, if Eddie is in that would be 2v2 so far.
Back to top Go down
ScotR

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   Tue Jun 23 2015, 20:44

Was thinking classic Battletech, say maybe 12,000-15,000 pts a side? Could play a scenario I guess, but probably easier just a standard engagement as I haven't played a proper game of this for over 10 years. You guys still play the pre-Total Warfare, BMR edition rules, right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Archive (old posts)   

Back to top Go down

Archive (old posts)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next