Ayr Wargames Club

A place for our members to meet and plan games, debate issues and organize trips.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hints and Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Sat Feb 28 2015, 20:09

Hi Stuart, I have used Vallejo varnish for years, both matt and gloss. I find the best way is to thin it down a little and brush on lightly. It does look horrible at first but dries totally clear in 5 minutes and is ready for another coat in 15/20 minutes. I usually give figures etc 3 coats minimum, often four just to make sure. Stick with it and you will find it really good.

Cheers John
Back to top Go down
StuartR

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Fri Feb 27 2015, 22:52

Anyone got any pointers for me on using a matt varnish? I picked up the vallejo one this week and when brushing it on it looks a bit like PVA glue. Is it best to thin it or use it sparingly? Also how many coats is best?

Never used varnish on any figure before so any hint and tips will be welcome Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Sun Nov 10 2013, 15:17

Hi Guys

I have found an excellent product in Wilkinsons store in High Street in Ayr. It is their own Wilko brand 2 part rapid set epoxy resin. Comes in two tubes , one yellow and 1 purple. Mix equal amounts together and apply with cocktail stick. works great on metal and resin and I have used it as a filler too. It dries pretty quickly, around 5 mins so don't mix too much at once, and it cures completely in 24 hours.

J
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Sun Feb 12 2012, 23:22

hey guys,

just took my cannon out of dettol it really does work! Smile ruined toothbrush (am gonna try kitchen roll first next time. Almost ruined kitchen sink but a little of the solution cleaned that straight off.

Thx for the tips guys am off to do my other cannon, then maybe an orgun gun. Wheee clean models to paint.
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Sat Feb 11 2012, 21:47

Thx john,

got me several of both metal and plastics to get do so good to know it wont damage the plastics unless neat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Sat Feb 11 2012, 20:40

I did some plastic lorry kits that got the " frosties" after spray varnishing and used a 1:1 solution which worked fine and didn't damage the plastic, there was a few bits of paint left in some awkward areas so I used dettol neat and that did the trick although some bits of the kit went a bit soft which seemed to harden back up later. Metals are no problemway.

J
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Sat Feb 11 2012, 18:00

any tips on the ratio of dettol to water most seem to say 1:1 is best?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Sat Feb 11 2012, 16:58

I've used the dettol method as well George, works a treat and as Doc says, a little light scrubbed removes the remains fine.

J
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Sat Feb 11 2012, 11:30

Thx Doc,

that's great cause white spirits dont do S**T, (quickly runs out to buy a bottle).
Will be trying that out asap.
Back to top Go down
Doc

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Sat Feb 11 2012, 11:06

Yes I've tried it George. It turns the paint into a sticky goo which with some gentle scrubbing with a toothbrush you can get off. Never think you will be able to ever use the toothbrush for anything else. You put the figs in dettol bath & check them every 24 hours. This is for Acrylic paint, I don't think it works on enamels. It doesn't even seem to affect the glue.
Metal figures will end up clean. Plastics can get a little stained, but you'll get the paint off.

Doc
Back to top Go down
George

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Sat Feb 11 2012, 01:08

hey folks,

I have several models which are badly needing stripped and repainted and have been trawling the net for the best way to strip paint from both metal and plastic models.
A lot of folks speak highly of a soak in DETTOL!!!??? Appartently works amazing and is the least toxic way of stripping mini's, has anyone tried this? Or perhaps have a btter way?

Thx folks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Mon Jul 04 2011, 18:51

Possibly just the saxons have the rimless ones then Dave. The vikings look great tooo, I am well impressed with the saxons as well, they assemble easy and paint well too.

I have varnished over my transfers, but I used humbrol mattecote first then gloss and finished with matt again. I have tried a spray gloss before on tanks etc and it just melted the decals and I find that matt varnishes don't seem to be so bad.
Back to top Go down
David Sargent

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Mon Jul 04 2011, 17:21

Finished Bill's box of 28mm Viking Hirdmen. Nice figures, go together well and give lots of poses. Quite a few spear armed figures but I suppose that was the cheapest weapon of the day.

The shield transfers work well but I found cutting out a neat circle quite difficult and time consuming - the central boss hole is pre-cut but the rest of the shield needs to be cut from the sheet. I found that I had to black line the inside edge of the rim once the transfer was applied to hide any ragged edges. I varnished the figures before adding the shield transfer - I've had bad experiences with varnishing over decals for WWII vehicles before and didn't want to ruin any of the shields.

Anybody tried varnishing over the design yet?

DS

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
David Sargent

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   Sun Jul 03 2011, 23:03

Thanks John

just finished a box for Bill and didn't notice that! He only gave me 2 sheets of transfers so the other half of them I just had to paint white and he can add the rest himself. Perhaps I got lucky and didn't use the rimless shields on the ones that I added the transfers. They seem to look OK anyway.

I'll post some pics of them here when I get a minute to photograph them

DS
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Hints and Tips   Sun Jul 03 2011, 21:58

For all of you who have got the Gripping Beast vikings and saxons, and intend to use the LittleBig Men shield tranfers watch out for the couple of rimless shields on the sprues as the transfer sheets have 2 designs which have in small print below them " rimless" which are a little bit bigger and the two should be used in conjuction.

JC
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hints and Tips   

Back to top Go down

Hints and Tips
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1