Ayr Wargames Club

A place for our members to meet and plan games, debate issues and organize trips.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

What are you working on?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
David Sargent

PostSubject: Re: What are you working on?   Sun Feb 20 2011, 17:10

Allan and Ally have decided to dabble in the Great Northern War - fought between Sweden and Russia around 1700. They intend using the new edition of 'Beneath the Lily Banners' which is due out shortly.

I've painted a lot of 28mm Swedes for Allan - mainly Reiver Castings but with a few Front Rank thrown in. Last couple of weeks I've been frantically painting their Russian opponents for Ally - mainly Reiver Castings 28mm.

Here are some of the Ruskis so far - still working on the Grenadier battalions: The flags are a bit random as the flag sheet had no info re regiments!!

Don't know if Ally has his computer up and running yet

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
David Sargent

PostSubject: Re: What are you working on?   Tue Feb 08 2011, 19:15

I' ve got a couple of boxes of Plastic Soldier 1/72 scale Russiams waiting to be painted. Think the figures are the same poses as the 28mm ones. They look not bad and 57 figs per box for around a tenner can't be bad. I've also got several boxes of Armourfast T34's and assault guns waiting to accompany them - if only I had the time to paint them! They're more a normal 20mm size than the Valiant ones although I must admit a real liking for the Valiant ones - I have two boxes of their British infantry and a box of their Germans painted and a further two boxes of GI's as yet unopened.

Just finished some 28mm partisans and British and German para support weapons for Ally. Will post some pics when I've completed the basing.

DS
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are you working on?   Tue Feb 08 2011, 16:17

Hi Dave

Aye Front Rank are definitely the best in metal, I have to stop myself buying a load of them every time they at shows, I have far to much to paint lying at home just now and been trying to be disciplined about getting them all done this year. But there are always distractions as I bought a box of Plastic Soldier Company ww2 Russians in 28mm and have been doing them, They are not bad figures and paint up well although they are not as detailed as Warlord ones, but at 57 figs for £16 I can put up with that lol.

cheers John
Back to top Go down
David Sargent

PostSubject: Re: What are you working on?   Sun Feb 06 2011, 20:45

Cheers John.

The Wargames Factory WSS plastic figures are about the same size as the Front Rank ones but the hats are much smaller on the plastic figures. The box has a great variety of heads from tricorns to almost every type of grenadier / fusilier mitre. The coats have no turn backs so may be limited in the country and period covered. My only real concern was the fragility of the bayonets - but since none of my Front Rank figures had fixed bayonets anyway I just cut them off. I also replaced the standard poles with wire ones. Hopefully this will make them a little more robust on the table. I'll certainly consider another box to bulk out my army - you get two 18 fig battalions from each box and they can be picked up on the web for between £15 and £18 per box.

I bought some Reiver Castings WSS figs at Albinach and have painted them as a battalion of Prussians. Don't think I'll get many more though as the Front Rank figs are so much better metal figs

DS
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are you working on?   Sun Feb 06 2011, 19:40

Hi Dave

Absolutely first class, they look really good. I only paint eyes in now if I'm doing a few figures for skirmish games but there really is no need as I find after a flesh ink wash is applied the eyes more or less stand out anyway. The WSS plastics are great, I would never have noticed any difference beteen them and metals at all. It is beginning to look like plastics going to become more prevalent in the near future and they help keep the cost down too.

Your flags have turned out well and the linen makes them reallistically wavy. Be good to have figures on the table.

cheers John
Back to top Go down
David Sargent

PostSubject: What are you working on?   Sat Feb 05 2011, 10:09

Alan suggested that I post some of the figures that I am currently working on and to get others to do the same so here goes:

Recently painting Great Northern War 28mm figures for Alan (and soon Russians for Ally) I was inspired to start a long promised Marlburian force for myself - the first army I've painted for myself for a long, long time.

I don't paint eyes and such like very small details on my figures any more - my own eyes are not up to it these days and at tabletop level I don't think they are really necessary. What do you think.

Bought some linen flags from Solway Crafts but also experimented with printing some flags from the Warflags site on linen paper on my inkjet printer - A4 linen backed paper costs about £2 - £3 per sheet as opposed to the £6.99 per sheet from Solway Crafts.

I'm going to try to post images with some descriptions - here goes

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Dutch Guard by day_sargent, on Flickr

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

More to come. I'm looking forward to getting these on the table

DS
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you working on?   

Back to top Go down

What are you working on?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4